Wake Up Mom With These Outrageous Pancakes:
Okay, we all know that moms "we" rule the earth, and what do we do about it? Usually, nothing! But here's your chance -- I guarantee you'll be on her good side if you wake her up Sunday morning and lead her to the breakfast table, where what might be the world's tastiest pancakes await her!
The Greek yogurt in them makes these orange-infused pancakes superfluffy and tangy -- does breakfast get any better? And while Mom's Day is indeed a great time to try these, one taste may create a Sunday morning ritual every week! Makes 8 smallish pancakes, enough for two healthy appetites, so double (or triple) it if necessary.
Orange-Yogurt Pancakes with Blueberries:
Tons of blueberries -- the more, the better. My general rule of thumb for blueberries: the smaller they are, the tastier.
- Zest of 1 large orange
- Juice of 1 large orange (about ½ cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Greek (strained) yogurt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (unsalted)
- 1 cup flour, organic if possible
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Generous pinch of kosher salt
- Additional butter for the pan
- Additional yogurt for garnish
- Heated maple syrup
1) Combine the zest, juice, egg, yogurt, brown sugar, and butter in a large mixing bowl, and whisk until well combined.
In a separate smaller bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, then add this to the liquid ingredients.
Mix until just combined; don't overmix. It should be rather thick.
2) Heat a skillet (or several, if you want to make several of them at the same time), add a little butter, let it get nice and hot, and spoon on some batter.
3) Cook for about 2 - 3 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned. Transfer to hot plates and spoon on some berries. Serve with little bowls of extra yogurt and warm maple syrup.